The Sacramento news stations report water intoxication. Fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland said he met Strange at the event and had no idea of the potential danger of water poisoning. Ybarra said after he quit, the remaining contestents were given even larger bottles to drink to stay in the competition. Strange was still in the contest when he opted out.
Water drinking contest blamed in death of California woman
Woman dies after water-drinking contest
A nurse shocked at the idea, called on air to the Morning Rave Show at station KDND in California to warn that contestants were endangering their lives from water contamination. Jennifer Lea Strange, 28, entered and she and other contestants vomited. She dropped out of the contest, went home and died about six hours later. Now the Sacramento radio station could lose its licence. Two media watchdog groups are challenging the license renewal of the station held financially responsible for the water intoxication death of the young mother. Our thoughts remain with the family. We will respond to any petition filed with the FCC at the appropriate time.
Peeing contest 'Hold your wee for a Wii' killed woman; now radio station may lose its licence
A work colleague said Ms Strange had reported her head was hurting hours after the contest and was going home. Ms Strange, 28, was found dead on Friday at her house in Rancho Cordova. Health warning Local assistant coroner Ed Smith said initial tests showed death was "consistent with water intoxication". Contestants were first given eight ounce millilitre bottles to drink every 15 minutes.
The radio station, he said, "had the information months in advance that this could cause harm. Jennifer Strange, a year-old mother of three, was among 18 people who entered the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" competition. They tried to drink as much water as they could without urinating in a bid to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console.